by Mikaya Heart
The study of physics has taught us that everything is energy, and most of my coaching is about allowing energy to flow.
Energy is simply another word for the life-force which always wants to flow through us, manifesting as creativity in many different forms: dancing, work, writing, sports, emotions, sexual desire, raising children, to offer a few examples.
Sexual desire is one of the easiest ways for us to learn about energy flows, and emotional energy is one of the most misunderstood, as we are taught to ignore emotions in the process of growing up.
Consequently many of us have a backlog of old emotions that we are suppressing. Here is a quick primer from one of my books:
1. Feelings are not facts but they often affect us much more than facts.
2. Feelings may carry tremendous energy which makes them very powerful.
3. Trying to rationalize someone out of a feeling (There's no reason to be so angry about it!) is not likely to make someone feel better, although it may enable him/ her to see that the original basis for the feeling goes beyond the present situation.
4. Feelings always want to be felt and they will usually pass quite quickly if you allow yourself to express them fully.
5. Feelings that we do not allow ourselves to feel in the moment when they arise hang around, sometimes for many years, waiting for an opportunity to be expressed. Old stuck feelings sap our energy and effectively prevent us from being clear channels of energy.
6. If you do clear out old feelings, you will find that new feelings that come up are always related to the present situation and they are hugely informative. Every feeling has something to tell you.
About the Author: Mikaya Heart is a coach in the art of being fully alive, and author of an award-winning memoir, My Sweet Wild Dance. Her latest book, The Ultimate Guide to Orgasm for Women, is just out from Cleis Press. www.mikayaheart.org